This Healthy Eggless Banana Bread is moist, soft, dense, and better for you. It is filled with the goodness of whole wheat flour, almond flour, and aquafaba. Almond Flour and Nuts used in this recipe increase the protein content in this eggless banana bread.
Aquafaba is one of the secrets as to why this banana bread is the most tender, moist, and light banana bread ever!
The perfect treat for breakfast, snack, or dessert! It’s so good, you’ll want to make it again and again!
This bread can be made vegan with the options given below. Check out the Note section of this recipe.
Healthy Banana Bread made with Whole Wheat and Almond FlourCourse: Breakfast, Snack, DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Healthy Banana Bread made from Whole Wheat and Almond Flour
1/2 cup Almond Meal or Almond Flour (55 grams).
I have used almond meal to get the nutty flavor in the bread. You can use either.
1.5 cup Whole Wheat Flour. (225 grams)
3 ripe bananas (Overripe bananas are an ideal choice for this recipe. The sweetness of the batter will highly depend on how ripe your bananas are.)
3/8 cup aquafaba (aquafaba is just the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
3/8 cup skim milk or standard milk.
1 tablespoon lemon juice.
3/4 brown sugar.
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
¼ teaspoon salt. A pinch of salt brings all the flavors in this bread together.
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F / 180 deg C.
- Grease and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mash the ripe peeled bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Keep it aside.
- Stir the lemon juice into milk and set aside. Milk will curdle and that is totally fine.
- Pour the aquafaba into a small bowl. Using a hand blender, whip the aquafaba on medium speed for a few seconds until foamy. Keep it aside.
- In a medium bowl add sugar and oil. Whisk until well combined.
- In the same bowl, add foamy aquafaba. Whisk again. Make sure, no lumps.
- Add vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, sea salt or salt, baking soda and mixture of milk and lemon juice. Whisk everything together. Make sure it is smooth and no lumps are formed.
- In the same bowl, add banana puree which was kept aside. Gently mix everything together until it is well incorporated.
- Add almond meal/ flour and whole wheat flour. Mix gently until everything is combined well.
- Optional- to add 1/2 cup walnuts. If you are allergic to nuts, totally skip it.
- Add the prepared batter into the loan pan and smooth out the top of the batter using a spoon or spatula.
- Optional- Take a banana and peel it. Split it vertically into 2 halves. Sprinkle brown sugar and add it to the top of the batter.
- Optional- Sprinkle powdered walnuts on top of the batter. Take a blender and blend it into fine powder to get powdered walnuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes or until it is cooked completely. Check by inserting a toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean, banana bread is ready.
Please note- If you are using an air fryer, cover the pan with the foil paper and air fryer at 325F for 60 to 70 minutes or until it is cooked.
- Once it is cooked, remove it from the oven and let the banana bread cool off for 30 minutes before slicing them into pieces.
- Substitute- 1/2 cup of Maple syrup/Honey/Jaggery powder/Coconut sugar can be used instead of brown sugar. If you are using honey or maple syrup reduce the baking temp by 25 F and increase the dry ingredients in proportion so your batter isn’t watery.
- Substitute- Almond flour can be replaced with oats flour. Whole wheat can be replaced with all-purpose flour.
- Substitute – Nuts of your choice can be used, like pecans, almonds, and raisins.
- Substitute – 1/3 cup oil can be replaced with apple sauce to make it oil-free
- Substitute- Vegan milk like Coconut milk/almond milk/ cashew, oats milk can be used instead of skim milk.
- Substitute- If you don’t have aquafaba then use 2 flax eggs. For 2 flax eggs, mix 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons water, stir, and let sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. No overmixing!
Nice recipe. Love that it is eggless – suitable for my vegan friends!
Thank you so much!